Lower Moyamensing

Lower Moyamensing, or “LoMo”, is a neighborhood in South Philadelphia bound by Snyder Avenue to north, Oregon Avenue to the south, South 8th Street to the east, and South Broad Street to the west Moyamensing Avenue crosses diagonally through the neighborhood’s boundaries from northeast to southwest. Although situated on the east side of Broad, the postal designation for Moyamensing Avenue, south of Snyder Avenue, is “West.” Since this is confusing, the designation “Lower” was chosen.

Moyamensing Township included ground turned over by the Dutch to the English and Wicaco, except such parts of the latter that were in Southwark. Its northern boundary was South Street and below the existing parts of Southwark; its eastern boundary was the Delaware River, and its western boundary was Schuylkill Sixth, now known as 17th Street.  In 1816, Moyamensing was estimated to be 3 miles by 2 miles over 2,560 acres. By act of March 24, 1812, its inhabitants were incorporated as “the township of Moyamensing.”

In April 4, 1831, the township was divided into East and West. It was one of the earliest created after the settlement of Pennsylvania, and became part of Philadelphia in 1854.  Moyamensing Prison was built between 1822-1835 at 10th and Reed streets. A portion of it also housed a Debtors Prison. The structure was demolished in 1967.

LoMo is famous for being home to singer Bobby Rydell and major landmarks include The Brush Factory, Epiphany of Our Lord Church, which was established in 1889 and Methodist Hospital on Broad and Wolf Streets.  The neighborhood is entirely residential with a smattering of corner stores, water ice stands and hoagie shops.  The housing stock is comprised of mostly two story brick rowhomes.